Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cold Noodles!

So today didn't go at all how I planned it. Since I didn't have class today, I woke up and took a shower planning on going to Itaewon which is the part of town where the Army base is. I was ready to see some Americans for a change. So as I was standing by the bus stop waiting to head to Itaewon when one of my friends ran up to me and handed me his cell phone. I was thinking to myself, "Who in the world on this guy's phone could want to speak to me?" When I answered I found out that it was the librarian and she told me that the missionary here on campus, Malcolm Parsley, wanted to meet me. So I headed up to the library and met Dr. Parsley. Dr. Parsley was in the military when he first came to Korea. After his duty was over he went back to the states and got his doctorate from Harding Graduate School of Religion in Memphis, TN and came back to Korea as a missionary. He planted many churches and even was the president of KCU for a while. He took me out to lunch and he introduced me to a new Korean meal, it was basically cold noodles. It was actually pretty good. By the time we got back, it was too late for me to go to Itaewon so I just stayed, finished some homework and hung out in the International Zone. Now the International Zone is a small room in the main building on campus where Korean students come and practice their conversational English. Usually, one of the American professors are in there and they just hang out with the students so they can get comfortable having a conversation in English. I hang out in there sometimes because it's a good place for me to waste time without having to be isolated in my dorm room.

2 comments:

Benny R. Walls said...

Marshall, did you celebrate labor day. Chiquita and I went to my uncle's for bbq. After eating we sat with family and talked about politics, history and family history.

Again, I have to tell you how proud I am of you. I remember when you decing to go to college and the various options that were suggested to you. You however, were intent on OCU and you went and look how far you have gone having followed your own mind. Learn from this. Listen to others, value them and their conern for you - But, make your own mind. In the long run you'll like yourself better and also can take full responsbility for where you are in your life.

I want you to write and encourage me cousin Nikki. NOTHING WRONG! I just want her to know and realize there are good, decent young brothers like yourself. AND YOU STAY THAT WAY!

The world exposure you getting excites me. God is not allowing you this for naught. There is a great purpose for your life and these moments are for your preparation. Stay the course, Keep the faith, and continue to grown in love, knowledge and wisdom. One day you set back perhaps like me and just be amazed at the journey God has allowed you to live and experience.

I am proud of you.
I love you.
I want the best for you.
May God continue to bless you and keep you safe.

Benny

Anonymous said...

Hey My name is Kara and I'm a student at OC. I think it's cool that you went to Korea I'm actually planning to be an exchange student in Japan...next Summer and Fall. I really like reading your posts and I will try to comment on your blog... I think it's really cool. What is your major? My Major is TEFL. Anyway, have fun and God bless you. I'll be praying for you.

God bless,
Kara